Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Preschool Already?

Benny's mom is preoccupied with admissions and applications for her goldilocked 16 month old. "And can you believe," she said, in her more than slight less than heavy Russian (Yiddish?) accent, "you have to write these essays about how you think your child will enhance the school, or how they will somehow make it better or something. I don't even understand it really."

But she is forging ahead through the process, excitedly. "Benny is really into the alphabet, and figuring things out, he isn't so creative yet. So maybe a Montessori school, I don't know. And there is a preference for siblings so I have my applications in my first and second choices already cause I am not sure we can get in."

Ruth is into her orange ball. She also likes to take things out of bags and put them back into bags. It seemed, although this comes from a removed perspective, that Benny also likes the orange ball and may like to take things out of bags.

"So, where do you want Ruth to go?"

"Um," I said, "We're going to move before she goes to school."

Baby preoccupier of the day: Ruth has a drawer full of toys. This morning, I took the toys out and replaced them with clothes that no longer fit her.

No comments: